Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Guinness!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhh.......that's exactly what was going through my mind after the first sip of Guinness hit my lips. It was like nothing I'd ever tasted before....certainly not anything like what they pour back in the states. The self guided tour of the Store House was your standard brewery tour; you start by standing at the bottom of the world's largest pint glass, which rises up through the centre of the seven story building, you learn that there's a 9,000 (!!) year lease on the land that the founder, Arthur Guinness, signed when he first purchased the property. 

Then you go on a self guided tour and work your way up to the 7th floor to the Gravity bar (the best part by far!!).

Your entry ticket entitles you to one free pint of Guinness, which as previously mentioned, is the most outstanding Guinness I've ever tasted. It's cold, refreshing, frothy and gets better with every sip!




The bar itself is a wall of windows and allows for breath-taking panoramic 360° views of the city.



After the tour I hopped back on the bus for about an hour before I realized I was more struggling to stay awake than I was listening to the tour guide so I disembarked the bus and made my way back to the hostel. My Swed friend wanted to meet up so we decided to meet up for dinner at 8. The moment I stepped outside it started pouring so we nixed the Brazen Head idea since it was about a 15 minute walk and I didn't have an umbrella. We walked for about 3 minutes until we found a nice little restaurant called The Bank on College Green with a sign outside that read: 'World's National Bar of the Year 2007'. Done and done! I had a delightful sea bass and he had a seafood linguine (after I explained what half the items were as they didn't translate well from Swedish to English).

We had a really great time and decided to keep the evening going with some drinks. I'd been wanting to check out the Temple Bar right next to my Hostel, so that's what we did. He introduced me to his favorite shot - bailey's and sambucca, quite delicious indeed!

This is Dave Browne - He just broke the Guinness book of World Records for the longest marathon playing live guitar. 114 hours live!!



                                       "Come on, give me a big smile!!"

Off for more exploring and picture taking!!

No comments:

Post a Comment