I was sad to leave Galway as it was by far my favorite city; the pubs were more authentic, people seemed a bit more friendlier (if that was possible!) and the town just a bit more quaint and welcoming. I took a 3 hour bus ride down to Killarney and found myself in a beautiful little city, even smaller than Galway. I stayed at an adorable little B&B where Gretta welcomed me with open arms. She served fresh breakfast every morning and I had the cheese on toast with a poached egg and grilled tomatoe. The B&B was just minutes from downtown and I found myself wandering in and out of little stores and ended up at a wonderful little restaurant, The Craugh, for some traditional Irish Stew. Wasn't a huge fan of the stew itself but I think that's just my personal taste as everyone around me seemed to be raving about it.
The next day I took a day tour around the ring of Kerry. The weather couldn't have been worse and all my pictures are a foggy mess! It was still quite enjoyable however and we even made a stop at this little farm where this world renowned sheep herder showed us how he trained his dogs with a whistle and have their own unique pitches and know exactly what he's asking the dog to do with each tone and pitch. It was absolutely amazing and I'll upload some videos' of that later on. After the tour was over the tour guide asked if I wouldn't want my own private tour of the lakes of Killarney....who in their right mind would turn that down?? I got some great shots of the lakes and he drove me past their oldest cemetary where his father was barried and where he'll most likely be barried. we then parked the tour bus, got in to his car, where he took me on a mini pub crawl of his favorite places and got to see his friends band play some traditional irish music. couldn't have been a more perfect way to end the day!
Then Swed came up from Dublin that night and we had a wonderful evening with Jameson and Guinness. Monday was back to Dublin so Swed could catch his flight that night. We had quite an adventure with the bus as we missed our connection in Limerick which meant a trip to a local pub to meet some very interesting and fun old gents. Last night I met some of Swed's local Irish friends for a couple pints and great story telling (why are the Irish so full of funny stories...is it just the accent?!)
Today I took a tour of the Jameson distillery and was selected as 1 of 8 out of 30 people for a private taste testing. We were even awarded with an official certification with our name on it as official Jameson taste testers! What a great start to the day. I'm off to my favorite spot for fish and chips and later today I hope to catch the Lord of The Dance later this evening.
Sorry no photo's - this internet cafe seems to be exceedingly slow at loading pictures. But rest assured I have over 1,500 amazing shots that i'll update on here soon.
Cheers!
No comments:
Post a Comment