I had a lovely day walking around Montreal. Four hours to be exact. Ruth, my hostel mate from B.C. and I ventured out for the best smoked meat sandwich in all of Montreal (little did I know Montreal is famous for their smoked meats!). So Of course I did proper research and found Schwartz's to be one of the best in town. The line was so long however that we wandered on down to find some authentic Bagels that are baked in a wood-fired oven. For those that know me well know that I'm not a huge carb eater, but these bagels were crunchy on the outside and chewy and fluffy on the inside, I just couldn't resist.
We then walked around old town for about two hours and visited different shops, parks and various sights until we worked up enough of an appetite for a big pile of meat! When we arrived at Schwartz's we waited in a line around the corner for a table....but the wait was well worn it!! The meat was juicy, tender, spicy and melted in your mouth. That will a pickle, crispy fries and a big 'ole pickle and I was in seventh heaven!
After our meat overload I suggested we enjoy a nice cold one across the street to help wash everything down. Being that it's Montreal (aka not Italy, Argentina or SF) Fernet was not an option on the menu....so I settled for the next best thing - Tequila!
After walking around for another hour or so and exploring one of the largest underground malls in the world (really nothing note worthy, just your typical mall, a little larger than usual and underground) we made our way back to the Hostel stopping along the way to watch them set up the 'Just for Laughs' comedy festival that's going on through early next week. Even Daniel Tosh will be performing here!
I'm heading to Saint-Denis street this evening for an exquisite French dinner, complete with French wine and bone marrow. At about 9 pm tonight there's a local band playing at the hostel; several friends I've made so far, including my new hostel roommate who's from Ireland (!!!) will be here at the Hostel's bar checking it out so I think I may just join them.
Hopefully the weather tones down a bit tonight, not complaining, but walking around the city for 5 hours in 90 degree weather isn't my favorite thing in the world to do. It is a nice break from the cold and rainy weather I left, and have in store for me on Sunday!






No comments:
Post a Comment